Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Baked Burritos

You can probably tell from my recent blog posts that we obviously love Mexican food.  Maybe because it's summer and it's easy to make light, easy Mexican dishes.  Maybe because of the avocados.  Okay, definitely because of the avocados.

Fun fact: did you know that Papa Chickpea HATES avocados?  And Mexican food?  I guess my love of avocados is not genetic.  Momma Chickpea does enjoy avocados, but has avoided cooking meals that include avocados to accommodate Papa Chickpea.  True love, right? 

Tonight's recipe comes from the usual clean eating cookbook, but with obvious Julie Chickpea flair.

  1. Preheat oven to 375. 
  2. Purchase fish and cut it into pieces/small strips.  I opted for the Trader Joe's "mahi mahi pieces" which already comes in tiny pieces because who doesn't love when the food does the work for you?    The mahi mahi was frozen, so I defrosted it as I prepared the rest of the meal.
    • Frequently Asked Question: Do I have to use fish?  Can I use chicken instead?  Can I make it vegetarian?
      • Answer: You can use whatever you want!  Just change your baking time and oven temperature to reflect whatever meat/non-meat you chose!
  3. Cook brown rice. Put in a bowl.
  4. Add to the bowl:
    • corn (less than 1 can)
    • chopped roasted red pepper (1/2 cup)
    • lime juice (1 tbsp)
    • black beans (1 can)
    • chopped onion (small)
    • really you can add anything you like.  In case you haven't picked up on my style yet, it's definitely "make it however you want."  If you don't feel like chopping up all the veggies you could probably just use a mixed chunky salsa of your choice.
  5. Season the fish with lime juice.
  6. Lay out a whole wheat tortilla.  Add 1/2 scoop of the rice/veggie mixture in a line.
  7. Top the rice/veggies with your fish pieces, also in a line. 
  8. Fold the tortilla over the rice/veggie/fish.  Place in a deep baking dish fold-side down.
    • Frequently Asked Question: How many burritos does this make?
      • Answer: When I made this, it made 7 burritos.  You can make more/less depending on the size of the tortillas you use and how much you stuff each one and how much of the rice/veggie mixture you make. 
  9. Top with light Mexican cheese, if desired.
  10. Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes.
  11. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes.
  12. Serve. 
    • Frequently Asked Question: What should I serve it with?
      • Answer: With avocado!  Actually, the recipe calls for serving this with sour cream, but why make a perfectly healthy meal unhealthy?   If you don't like avocado (Papa Chickpea, I'm talking to you!) then I'd suggest some natural salsa as an accompaniment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts