Friday, July 13, 2012

Seconds? How about Thirds!

Are you ready for a delicious meal?  This might be the most delicious meal I have blogged about in recent history.  Definitely going into the "favorite meals" page. 

Apricot-Glazed Asian Stir Fry with Cellophane Noodles
First, you're going to need to find cellophane noodles, aka "bean thread noodles."  I was disappointed to find that my local trader joes did not carry these noodles, so we were on a hunt to find them.  Last night I asked MJ to check with Whole Foods to see if they carried them.
I assumed MJ would look online.  Instead, I heard the following:

"Hi, I was wondering if you carried cellophane noodles?"
"Cellophane noodles."
(louder) "Cellophane noodles."
"Right, cellophane noodles."
"Okay."
(pause)
"Yes, I'm looking for cellophane noodles."
(louder) "Cellophane noodles."
"Cell. O. Phane. Noodles!"
"Cellophane noodles!"
"Okay."
(pause)
"You do?"
"Great!  Where are they in the store?"
"International aisle?  Okay thanks."

...and that's how I know MJ loves me.


As MJ went off to the store to get the Cell. O. Phane. Noodles! in the International Aisle, I started preparing dinner.

  1. Soak cellophane noodles in hot water for 10 minutes.  This can be just hot water from the sink -doesn't have to be boiling or anything.  Drain and set aside.
  2. Chop a white onion. (1/2 cup)
  3. Add 1 tsp safflower oil to a large wok/skillet.  Put on medium/high heat. 
  4. Add 2 gloved minced garlic, 1 tsp ground ginger, and your half cup chopped onions.  Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
  5. Add chopped chicken.  The recipe calls for scallops, but MJ is allergic.  You could probably also use shrimp or beef.  We/I chose chicken.  Cook about 3 minutes until no longer pink.
  6. Mix 1.5 tbsp low sodium soy sauce with 1/2 low sugar apricot preserves.  Pour in skillet, bringing to a simmer.
  7. Now, the recipe didn't tell me to do this, but I did it anyway and you should too:  Add cellophane noodles to skillet.
  8. (Optional) Steam some snowpeas. You can use fresh or frozen snowpeas. We like our cooked so I steamed them first.  Throw the snowpeas into the skillet.  Cook 30 seconds.
  9. Serve. 
  10. Eat. 
  11. Eat some more.

I loved this meal.  So did MJ.  I was happy when he went for seconds.  I was thrilled when he went for thirds!  And we still had some left over for me to take for lunch.  This meal was simple and easy and delicious. Will definitely be making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts