Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week 1, Tuesday (Day 3)

My produce is going bad.  I didn't realize when I was trying to pre-plan my shopping week on Sunday that all the nice, fresh stuff I was buying would be wrinkly and smelly before I was required to eat it.  Considering I have made 4 separate trips to the supermarket to buy more ingredients this week, I definitely should have held off on the produce.  Next week I'm only going to buy 2 days in advance.  


Breakfast: Oatmeal with cinnamon, low fat milk, 1 cut up apple


Sigh.  I'm not an oatmeal fan.  I feel like I start every post that way.  Maybe I am a picky eater.  I suck it up though, for the greater good of science, and eat the oatmeal.  Almost all of it.  Okay more like half but there's really no flavor in the whole bowl.   I threw some apple pieces into the bowl, but really apples taste better not cut up (and take a whole lot less effort too).  I barely eat half of the bowl.  This is going to be a long day.


Snack 1: 1/2 cup raspberries, 1 oz spreadable cheese


Alright I get the raspberry thing, but do people really eat spreadable cheese straight up?  Without putting it on anything?  I'm not one of those people.  I bring 2 whole wheat crackers (the kind that actually tastes like a cracker) to work and eat my cheese that way.  I decide the extra 30 calories are worth it.


Lunch: Sandwich with eggplant, onions, peppers, and tomatoes on whole wheat roll with goat cheese.


You've got to be kidding me.  When I saw this listed on the meal plan today I was so excited because it looked so good.  This morning I cursed loudly as I saw how long the prep time was to cook up all the veggies and prepare this sandwich.  I really should have thought twice about making cookies this morning - I should have been making lunch!  I flip to page 84 where the recipe is supposed to be and it's not there.  Typo.  C'mon editors, page numbers are so easy!  I flip to page 24 to find the real recipe and, low and behold, the recipe serves 4.  Great.  I do the quick math and realize that not only is my produce now old, but I have 3/4 of an eggplant that is totally useless, since it's not used anywhere else this weeks meal plan.  1 hour later I've made my meal, which still feeds two people even though I cut down the quantity.  I was only able to eat half of my sandwich before a 12:45 meeting, and at exactly 1:30pm my stomach started to growl.  Am I always going to be hungry?
I finished up the sandwich after the meeting and I really did enjoy it.  But the amount of time it took this morning was totally not worth it.


Snack 2: 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 nectarine


I swapped out my nectarine for a clementine, which is the same thing as far as I'm concerned.  I also thought I was supposed to bring cottage cheese for my snack (which was totally unacceptable) so I replaced the yogurt with an almond butter cookie.  I don't regret this decision, but by 2:07pm, my snacks were gone and I was starving.  




Snack 3: Low Fat String Cheese


This was not part of the meal plan.  I cheated again.  But it was 4:36 and my stomach was so loud that my coworkers were starting to stare.  As soon as I got home I had a string cheese.  I'm a little cheater short and stout.  Here is my (love)handle, here is my spout.


Dinner: Chinese 5 Spice Beef and Bell Peppers (Wednesday's dinner)


I've never cooked red meat before, and this was much easier than I thought it would be.  This recipe was fast and simple, and tasted good, considering I left out the Chinese 5 Spice for which the dish was named.   I ended up quadrupling the amount of peppers the recipe required because nothing's better than filling up on a 7 calorie food.  


Dessert: Almond butter cookie


Gosh I cheated a lot today.  I went to the gym after work so I felt justified in my extra calorie intake.  Honestly this last cookie was only so my boyfriend could taste our new go-to dessert.  He was a fan, but disappointed when I informed him the authors don't recommend you drink milk with the cookies because it takes away from any health benefits you get from dark chocolate.  He drank milk anyway.


Overall I probably had closer to 1800 calories today.  I hope the Clean Eating gods aren't cursing me for expanding the meal plan today. Sorry, Clean Eating gods.  I'll try better tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts