Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 2, Sunday (Day 14)

Today I partially followed the meal plan for Sunday of Week 2.  

Breakfast: Omelette (3 egg whites and 1 egg, 1 cup peppers, 1/2 cup onion, 1 tablespoon part-skim mozzarella cheese)
There is no possible way I could eat 4 eggs in the morning.  I cut the eggs in half and add some mushrooms so they don't go bad before I use them.  I definitely need to work on my omelette flipping skills.  The chefs on TV and those chefs at the omelette stations in hotels make it look so easy!  I'm more concerned about served cooked eggs than pretty eggs.

Snack 1: 1/2 cup white beans, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, balsamic vinegar and oil
This was a surprisingly yummy snack and definitely worth repeating.  It was also very filling, which I find better than, say, a grapefruit that I can't open.

Lunch: You Pick Two combination at Panera: broccoli cheddar soup and asian chicken salad
MJ and I ended up going out for lunch today, and I made a point to check out the nutrition info before placing my order.  The you-pick-two soup and salad that I got only came to 390 calories, which is really not bad for eating out.  But don't eat the bread or chips it comes with!  I was shocked to learn that the small 2.5 ounce serving of bread they give you with your meal is another 180 calories - regardless of if you ordered the french baguette OR the whole wheat bread!  I gave my slice to MJ and watched as he consumed over 1000 calories (salad, 2 pieces of bread, and a low-cal smoothie).  Attaboy, MJ.  Before I started this meal plan, I would never think that eating a salad bread and smoothie would be over half of the calories I should be eating in one day.  I'm really glad that restaurants are posting this kind of information now so that we can make healthy choices outside the home.  

Snack 2: California Pizza Kitchen: A few bites of the arugula salad, some white corn guacamole with 3 tortilla chips, 1 Mediterranean roll.  
In the afternoon we went to California Pizza Kitchen with the rest of the Jordans for some quick snacks.  CPK is also kind enough to list their nutritional info, but nothing is really good for you.  I had a few bites of each of the appetizers and 1 Mediterranean roll, which is 346 calories!  The roll was MAYBE 2 inches long.  Sigh.  This snack was probably about 400 - 450 calories for me.  More than my lunch and I had less than one quarter of the food!  Why are things that taste so good so bad for you?

Dinner: 1 veggie burger, 1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1 slice tomato, 1 piece lettuce, 1 slice onion, 2 pieces whole wheat bread (really Lunch)
Dinner was supposed to be a Fajita salad (chicken, lettuce, salsa, peppers, onions), but the veggie burger meal that I was supposed to have at lunch sounded a lot more appealing and less effort.  And it was delicious!  I've never thought to use wheat bread as a bun but it was fantastic.  I also enjoyed taking out my new food scale and weighing out a full ounce of cheese - way more than I expected!  Thanks editors!  I'm pretty confident that I will be repeating this meal tomorrow in lieu of going to the grocery store again tonight.  But that's okay because I make my own rules, as evidenced by the fact that I ate out twice in one day.

Snack 3: 1 almond butter cookie
Surprise, surprise.  It's been 4 days for me without a cookie.  I caved an ate another almond butter cookie.  It was just as good as I remember.  I know I can survive on this meal plan if I add these cookies in as treats more often.  I'll have to ask MJ to hide them from me.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Julie Chickpea,
    I have some interesting tidbits to share. In The Girl Who Played With Fire, do not believe this is a spoiler, Ms. Salander goes to the store and one of the items she buys is Kefir!
    Also, in the Jan/Feb issue of Food Network Magazine the chefs had a challenge to come up with recipes using hummus. They sound pretty tasty! Let me know if you cant find and I will send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Read Posts