Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 4, Wednesday (Day 51)

Breakfast: 1 cup peach coconut smoothie (blend 1 cup sliced peaches, 1 oz vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup light coconut milk, 1/2 cup low-fat milk, and 4 ice cubes - freeze leftovers as pops); 1/2 cup oatmeal, 3 egg whites


Wow.  Who has time to make a smoothie, oatmeal AND eggs in the morning?  I woke up early just to get a head start on breakfast!  I decided to alter the smoothie because we have chocolate protein powder, and what tastes better with chocolate than banana?? Ok sure, peanut butter is a good answer.  So is mint.  Fine.  I'm wrong, but what FRUIT tastes better with chocolate than bananas?  I guess strawberries can be a close second.  






Making the smoothie was easy, but I was instructed to freeze the leftovers as pops. How does one make a pop?  I don't have any freezer trays that would be good for pop making.  Heck I don't even have paper or plastic cups!  I end up putting the leftovers (which was a TON) into a bowl and sticking that in the freezer.  I guess I just made chocolate banana ice cream.  We'll see how that turns out later.


The oatmeal was plain-jane boring.  


The eggs cooked up quickly, but I can't eat just regular old egg whites without cheese, so I threw in a little bit of low-fat mozzarella cheese.


SOO much effort for breakfast.  I will probably never again make eggs AND oatmeal AND a smoothie.


Snack 1: 1/4 cup hummus on 8 multigrain flaxseed crackers; 1/2 cup grapes


I went to the gym before I got a chance to eat this snack.  It was a class on core conditioning.  THe class really kicked my butt!  There weren't that many people in the class so the instructor could really modify each exercise for everyone in the room.  (Un?)fortunately, I was one of the youngest in the class and therefore the instructor decided I was "most fit" and gave me the advanced versions of all the exercises to do.  Like I said, this class really kicked my butt.  I was sweating like crazy and very out of breath.  But my fitbit hardly registered a change!  This class was definitely harder than zumba and African dancing, but perhaps because the motions are core related rather than steps, the fitbit has a hard time picking them up.  Or maybe I'm just wrong about how much I burned, and I was really just tired because the exercises were hard.  


Either way, I enjoyed that class and hope that my usual Tuesday meetings get cancelled again so that I can go back!  


After class, I rewarded myself with a Twix bar.  Ugh I know, I really shouldn't have done that, but, hey - it's fat tuesday!  I get to cheat a little, right? No? Shucks.


Back at work I ate my hummus and crackers.  My perfectly portioned hummus from Costco was just the right amount.  I held off on eating the grapes until lunch.


Lunch: Spinach Salad (3 cups spinach, 1/4 cup chopped mango, 1/4 cup sliced onion, 3 oz chopped roasted chicken, 1 tsp evoo, 1 tsp orange juice, 2 tsp fresh lime juice)


I had to make this salad on the run, so it ended up being leftover chicken from last night, spinach, mango (1 slice - no time to chop!) and some evoo/balsamic vinegar as the dressing.  I threw the grapes in for good measure and it turned out to be a yummy, light, simple lunch.  Nothing fancy, but no complaints here.  


Snack 2: 1 peach coconut smoothie pop; 1/2 cup strawberries, 2 tablespoons natural almond butter


1 smoothie pop.  What size is one smoothie pop?  How many ounces?  Cups?  I open up the freezer and see that my bowl of smoothie is indeed frozen, but I can't even get my spoon in it to scrap out anything.  With the help of my friend Mr. Microwave, I soften it up enough to be edible.  It just tastes like smoothie.  I eat what I think is one "pop" size.  Okay really I just got frustrated trying to scoop out the frozen smoothie.  I would have much rather had leftover un-frozen smoothie to drink.  Sigh.  I guess it's nice having a "healthy" "ice cream" in my fridge.
Now a half cup of strawberries really isn't that many strawberries, which is disappointing.  I only had one table spoon of almond butter because as much as I love almond butter, I can't really eat it by the spoonful like I used to do with peanut butter when I was younger.


Dinner: 2 cups spring mix greens, 4 oz tuna, 1/4 cup each cooked chickpeas, shredded carrots, chopped tomato, 5 cucumber slices, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp evoo; 1/2 cup blackberries


False alarm.  For dinner I went over to Aimee's house.  She made a weight watcher's friendly dinner: 1 morningstar mushroom burger in a pita with salsa and corn.  Total WW points: 5.  It was pretty tasty. I'd consider adding the mushroom burger to my list or veggie burger options.


A little while after dinner I had a "breakfast on the go - berry blend" pack.  It was 5 points.  Apparently my twix bars today were 8 points.  I'm not sure about the rest of the day.  I also would gain "activity points" by going to that gym class, so that let's you go over in your points (if you want/need to).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts