Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 44 & Michael Pollan's Rules

I'm back home!  Gosh it feels nice to have all my own foods and not have to worry about catching a plane or buying a non-healthy meal.  


For breakfast, jetlag required that I had a cup of coffee (flavored fat-free vanilla creamer, no sugar) and a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter.


For my morning snack I packed a 1/2 cup container of that Nature's Optimum blueberry cereal with a 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries.  Yum!  I probably would have had it for breakfast with milk but MJ drank all the milk while I was gone.  


We didn't have much in terms of food for lunch, so I bought a taco salad from the mexican place by my office.  I'm too embarrassed to tell you what was in it.  I make a vow never to buy it again.  


For dinner I went over to my friend Aimee's house for dinner.  Aimee is the person I have to thank for introducing me to the vodka gimlet and the best breakfast sandwich ever: peanut butter and bananas on a whole wheat english muffin.  


Aimee is following weight watchers, and made us a yummy dinner of chicken, mixed veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers) and cauliflower in some cheese sauce.  The entire meal was less than 4 points on weight watchers!  Aimee and I had a long discussion about the cheesy cauliflower.  It was 0 points for weight watchers.  They come in frozen, personal packages.  We're positive there is nothing natural about the cheese sauce but both agreed it couldn't really be that bad for us if it was 0 points. 


For dessert Aimee served this delicious low-fat chocolate moose tracks frozen yogurt.  I have no idea how many points it was for weight watchers but we really could have eaten the entire container.


Michael Jordan sent me this really interesting article called Food Rules by Michael Pollan.  


Mr. Pollan's rules are:
#11 Avoid foods you see advertised on television
#19 If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't. 
#36 Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.
#39 Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.
#47 Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored.
#58 Do all your eating at a table.


I definitely agree with Michael Pollan's rules and will try my best to follow them.  He's definitely right about the junk food - you're not going to see my wasting my time making home made french fries!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts