Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Beef and Quinoa Sautee

I made another delicious, healthy, new meal.
Want to hear about it?
Great!
This recipes comes from The Best of Clean Eating - Book 2.  The sequel to my first meal plan adventure. MJ got me Book 2 for my birthday.  Lame gift right?  
But then he proposed.  MJ for the win.

Book 2 is like the ugly step sister to my original bible/book because there is no meal plan in the back.  I was surprised and disappointed and relieved to see there wasn't another meal plan included, because I wasn't sure I had it in me to commit to the full Julie/Julia style system again but wouldn't have be able to turn it down if there was.  So I've just be trying recipes as though Book 2 were just a regular cook book.  Which it is.  So this is normal.

So here's your first Book 2 Recipe:

Book 2 names this recipe "Beef Stir-Fry" which is so smothered in boring that I was required to rename it "Beef and Quinoa Sautee."  Much better, right?

Here's what you do:
  1. Cook 1 cup quinoa, according to package directions.  Set aside.
  2. On a wok, heat 1 Tbsp oil.
  3. Add 1 cup chopped onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic.  Heat for 2/3 minutes.
  4. Add 1 chopped red pepper, 1 chopped orange pepper, and 1 chopped green pepper. (I used 1 red and 2 orange.  Sue me).  Also add 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper.  Stir for 2 more minutes
  5. Add 1 lb of beef, trimmed of fat and cut into this strips.  Stir for 2 minutes.
  6. Add 1 cup low sodium beef broth.  Simmer for 2 minutes until steak is cooked through.
  7. Remove from heat. season with basil, salt and pepper.
  8. Serve over quinoa.
  9. Enjoy immensely.

As you may have gathered by this recipe, you are going to spend a lot of prep time chopping away.  I enlisted the help of Sous Chef Jordan and I'm sure he'd be happy to come to your house and help you chop vegetables... as long as you feed him.

Book 2 claims this meal serves 4 and is 377 calories per serving.  We both ate seconds and had a ton of left overs, so this is a great meal to make if you don't feel like cooking the next day or later in the week.

Finally, Book 2 has an image of chopsticks next to their much prettier picture of their boring-titled "Beef-Stir Fry."  If you plan on using chopsticks, I wish you luck.  We opted for forks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts