I made another delicious, healthy, new meal.
Want to hear about it?
This recipes comes from The Best of Clean Eating - Book 2. The sequel to my first meal plan adventure. MJ got me Book 2 for my birthday. Lame gift right?
But then he proposed. MJ for the win.
Book 2 is like the ugly step sister to my original bible/book because there is no meal plan in the back. I was surprised and disappointed and relieved to see there wasn't another meal plan included, because I wasn't sure I had it in me to commit to the full Julie/Julia style system again but wouldn't have be able to turn it down if there was. So I've just be trying recipes as though Book 2 were just a regular cook book. Which it is. So this is normal.
So here's your first Book 2 Recipe:
Book 2 names this recipe "Beef Stir-Fry" which is so smothered in boring that I was required to rename it "Beef and Quinoa Sautee." Much better, right?
Here's what you do:
- Cook 1 cup quinoa, according to package directions. Set aside.
- On a wok, heat 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add 1 cup chopped onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Heat for 2/3 minutes.
- Add 1 chopped red pepper, 1 chopped orange pepper, and 1 chopped green pepper. (I used 1 red and 2 orange. Sue me). Also add 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper. Stir for 2 more minutes
- Add 1 lb of beef, trimmed of fat and cut into this strips. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup low sodium beef broth. Simmer for 2 minutes until steak is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. season with basil, salt and pepper.
- Serve over quinoa.
- Enjoy immensely.
As you may have gathered by this recipe, you are going to spend a lot of prep time chopping away. I enlisted the help of Sous Chef Jordan and I'm sure he'd be happy to come to your house and help you chop vegetables... as long as you feed him.
Book 2 claims this meal serves 4 and is 377 calories per serving. We both ate seconds and had a ton of left overs, so this is a great meal to make if you don't feel like cooking the next day or later in the week.
Finally, Book 2 has an image of chopsticks next to their much prettier picture of their boring-titled "Beef-Stir Fry." If you plan on using chopsticks, I wish you luck. We opted for forks.