Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mustard-Almond Crusted Mahi Mahi

Finally, here is the third recipe in the standing-at-the-front-of-the-grocery-store-with-my-cookbook series. 
This one, by far, was the most delicious.  Definitely a top 10 meal that I've made since we started clean eating and worthy of being added to the "My Favorite Meals" page of gold-medal dinners.

This recipe is, as usual, really simple.  
  1. Select a white fish of your choice.  The recipe called for tilapia, but the grocery store was all out and out choices were Haddock or Mahi Mahi.  We took a vote and with a score of 1 - 0, the Mahi Mahi was selected.
  2. Once the fish is washed, top each fillet with 1/2 tablespoon of all-natural mustard. 
  3. Mix whole wheat bread crumbs with chopped almonds. 
    • Here's where I have to digress a little.  I put MJ in charge of getting whole wheat bread crumbs while I went off to find chopped almonds.   MJ came back with bread crumbs, reporting that there was no whole wheat option.  It wasn't until we got home and I started cooking that I realized he picked panko crumbs.  He said I knew they were panko crumbs in the store but I definitely did not.  Oh well, I had a Tim Gunn "make it work" moment and used the panko crumbs instead.  Meanwhile, I don't really think "chopped almonds" exist, so my choices were slivered almonds, sliced almonds, or sliced almonds with the skin still on.  MJ picked the third option and we were on our way.
  4. Top the fish with the almond/bread crumb mixture.  Pat it on to make sure it stays.
  5. Bake fish.  We did 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
  6. Pick a veggie and side dish of your choice.  We opted for brussel sprouts (that we sauteed) and some quinoa with chickpeas.  Really this fish could go with anything.
  7. Plate, eat and enjoy!

This meal was really, really delicious.  Luckily we made 5 pieces because MJ ate a ton and we still had enough for leftovers!   Let me know if you try this tasty dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts