Monday, June 11, 2012

Popcorn Caluliflower

The other day, Michael Jordan requested that we make cauliflower for dinner.  Now when he says "we," he of course means "you" aka yours truly, Julie Chickpea. 
I accepted his challenge/request because it's so rare that MJ expresses any type of opinion about what we eat other than to say "this is great, Julie!  I can't wait to do dishes!" 

I love cauliflower, but it's a big pain to chop up and makes a huge mess.  I know that you can buy pre-chopped cauliflower, but that's cheating. 

The Chickpea family has a famous "Popcorn Cauliflower" recipe that involves a lot of spices and a lot of oil.  Over the years I'm modified this recipe, and my version of Popcorn Cauliflower goes something like this:
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. Chop up 2 heads of cauliflower so there's almost no stem/trunk (you know - if you picture them as little trees, we only want the leaves).
  3. Put all your tiny cauliflower tops into a big zip lock bag
  4. Add a little bit (1/8 tsp) of the following spices:
    • cumin
    • turmeric
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
    • salt
    • pepper
    • paprika
  5. Zip the bag.  Shake shake shake.  All the cauliflower should get spread with the spice mixture and will probably turn yellow from the turmeric.  Shake shake shake.
  6. Cover a baking tray (one that has edges!!) with foil.  Spray the foil with pam/oil mist so that your baby caulis don't get stuck. 
  7. Spread the little cauli tops on the tray so they are pretty even and not that stacked on top of each other.
  8. Bake for about 20 - 30 minutes.  Yea I know that's a huge range but just reach in (CAREFULLY) and taste one.  If it tastes delicious, they're done.  If you prefer them a little more done, leave them in. 
I should note that I've seen/tried other great cauliflower recipes that involve some type of bread crumb or panko crumb.  I've done this occasionally but prefer just the spices I've listed above.

So anyway, I made Julie's version of the Chickpea family popcorn cauliflower recipe.  This time I also baked some chicken.  MJ added some orange/teriyaki glaze to his chicken, which is pictured below:


Do you have a cauliflower recipe you love? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Read Posts